Tuesday, March 06, 2007

FOs - Mardi Gras Gloves and Ribbon Purse

I figured since I'd be down south for Mardi Gras, and had that fabulous Mardi Gras Lorna's Laces, I should make a pair of gloves to wear to the parades. They weren't done in time, and it turned out too warm for gloves my entire vacation, but I am happy about them anyway. I could not find a pattern for fingering weight gloves anywhere, so I did these with no pattern! My first non-pattern project (aside from a couple of hats). I love the way the LL pooled... anything better could have been called a self striping yarn!




I've had this idea in my head for longer than I've known how to sew... a purse made of ribbons woven together. I was disappointed to find on Craftster that my idea wasn't original, and had already been executed better than I could have done, but I decided to make one anyway. I was actually going to follow the tutorial, but I didn't have enough of the ribbon, and Michael's was out, so I just wove the ribbons together, sewed it, put interfacing on, folded it in half, and sewed it together. I made the lining in the same way (minus the weaving, of course), from a fat quarter, but added pockets. It was really fun, and I ADORE how it turned out! I flatter myself enough to say it looks almost store bought!



3 comments:

Karin said...

Cute stuff! Love the purse--will be really cute for spring.

SylvChezPlum said...

fun gloves, and beautiful purse !

sulu-design said...

Seriously cool pooling. And you're so creative - what a purse!