Sunday, April 01, 2007

About Time! (Gatsby Girl FO)

So the Gatsby Girl is done, and I don't think I've been happier with a finished item yet. Seriously, I really am happy with this knit. In theory, this sweater should not have been very flattering on me, but, though IRL it may be less flattering than in these pictures, I still think it is really flattering, especially for a sweater.

Project specs:

Pattern: Gatsby Girl from IK Fall 2006
Yarn: Rowan Felted Tweed, color: watery (I think)
Needles: size 2 and 3 from the Boye set
Mods: Long sleeves instead of 3/4

I lengthened the sleeves, not because I didn't like the look of the 3/4 sleeve, but because my yarn has so much alpaca in it that I knew it was going to be a very warm sweater, and I felt that it would be more wearable and practical with longer sleeves. I don't like the look quite as much, but I am very happy with it. Many thanks to Jodi Green, the pattern creator, for helping me figure out the numbers for lengthening the sleeves.

The pattern was wonderfully written, easy to follow, and easy in itself without being boring... although the 1x1 rib sleeves were taxing at the end. In retrospect, I would have done a cable on the sleeves or maybe lace, just to make the sleeves more exciting.

The yarn is not something I would have chosen for this project if the ladies at the yarn store I visited had not suggested it and let me knit up a swatch in the store. I was shocked, because I thought the tweed would be too busy for this sweater, but I think it worked up beautifully. I do love the Felted Tweed, and already have obtained another sweater's worth. The fabric is lovely, the yardage is great, and it's nice to work with. The sweater is a little itchy, though. I don't think I'll be able to wear it without a shirt underneath.

The buttons are a little special to me. Someone gave me her great-grandmother's collection of buttons, and boy, do I love buttons. Especially old buttons. I like to think about what they were on before, but for these delicate little pearls, I just couldn't decide their history. I only found 4 of them, thought I could have sworn I had 6, which is the amount the pattern calls for. So, I mixed them with 3 rhinestone buttons I had, alternating every other button, and got the button holes crocheted, then found the other 2 pearls. Sigh. I like the mix a lot, though, and don't care enough to change it. I couldn't get a good picture of the buttons, too bad!

The color is really odd. When I bought it, I was convinced it was a greeny-teal color, but after months of looking at it, it looks totally green to me now, with only a bluish tint. Also, the lighting may have something to do with it... but I swear in the yarn store it was much more teal! I think the color's off in the pictures, anyway.

As usual, the pictures suck. I was able to get one decent one with the self timer on my camera, but none of the rest of those came out, so I did a couple in front of the mirror. Anyway, hope you like!






Edited to add: Link to Rowan Felted Tweed. I used the color "Watery."

9 comments:

Bex said...

Excellent! Really, really nice!

jodi said...

Beautiful! I'm glad to see the sleeves worked out.

Karin said...

Very nice! I like the color very much!

Anonymous said...

beautiful,love it,the color is pretty too,
looks very pretty on you

Tany said...

That's a very nice sweater! You look gorgeous!

Marji said...

Lovely sweater. I'm confused (not unusual), is that the new Rowan watercolors?

Anonymous said...

It turned out great, I gave up on mine but after seeing yours I may have to try again

Susan Luni said...

Gosh, it looks great. And so flattering. I love the color.
I am impressed that you knit this sweater, as complicated as it is, on small needles, with the long sleeves.
Marvelous!
(sorry about the late response, it is either me or bloglines, but I just saw this post)

Elizabeth said...

Yay! Congrats on finishing this sweater - you're a more tenacious knitter than I. You did a wonderful job, the long sleeves look great, and the fit is perfect on you.