Monday, April 13, 2009

Paintings and Etching

I've been experimenting with Armor Glass Etching Cream. Pretty cool stuff! I saw a tutorial on Craftster on making stencils for etching with fabric paints and tried that. It worked well for the design that wasn't highly detailed, but the really detailed ones I did needed contact paper for stencils... of course, I didn't have any contact paper, so I used Hallmark self-adhesive wrapping paper instead. It worked decently, but I think I really need to get contact paper for future projects. I also need to be more careful with the Exacto knife, as I cut myself around three times in one hour. I only bought one vase to try the etching cream on, and then after I'd used it and thought it was so neat, I started etching things like my WoodWick Candle jars and my reed diffuser bottles. I found some cool tattoo designs online to use. It was hard to get pictures of the results, but I will post the best I managed. The candle was my favorite, but I couldn't get a photo because the candle was a cream colored one (frosted cookie, mmm!), and the etching hardly shows (you have to look very closely). But here are the vase and the reed diffusers.
The first is a swallow tattoo design. The second is a fat little bird I freehanded. The last one is a phoenix tattoo design.





I also have two paintings to show! One (the Jazz Club) is a CorksnCanvas painting, and the other is only done in that style.




I'm still working on the Quilt of Doom, and have started Sylvi, although I have had little time to work on either as the semester is coming to a close and that means lots of work with little time in which to do it. Hopefully I will be able to finish the Quilt soon.

By the way, if ever again I say "How hard can it be?," refer me to the Quilt of Doom.

4 comments:

Tiziano said...

Hi,
my name's Tiziano and I'm a Elizabethtown fans. I read on yout blog ( http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/2006/09/fo-elizabethtown-pithy-hat.html ) about Krinsten Dunst's red hat in the movie: I'm searching for this hat, please help me!
where I can find it????
Please, help me! It is a present...
Thank you very much

Tiziano

Crystal said...

Hi Tiziano,

The hat pattern I used for this hat was from Little Turtle Knits. It is a free pattern, and the link is: http://www.littleturtleknits.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_101&products_id=227

Hope that works for you!

sulu-design said...

Cool glass etchings - and free hand?!? Wow.

EmilyKate said...

Oh your etched gassware is great! Fantastic drawings. I've thought about trying it myself but corrosives scare the bejeezus outta me...