Tuesday, April 25, 2006

FOs - Modeknits' Silk Corset Top and Ribbon Shrug from Knit.1

First of all, please excuse how horrible I look in these photos. I was completely sober, although a bit tired, and there is no excuse for how cracked-out I look!

Silk Corset Top:
From: Modeknit
Size: 32"
Yarn: Filatura Di Crosa Brilla, cotton/rayon blend, color #400, almost 4 skeins
Needles: size 6 straight

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mods made: I used all one color, instead of a MC and CC. I didn't add buttons to the very bottom, and would have needed 24, I believe it was, if I had. I did buy them, but so many people told me it looked great the way it was that I decided to leave it. I worked chart D for an extra inch before beginning the bottom lace. I have yet to do the crochet edging because I know I don't have enough yarn left, so I'm waiting until I can find another skein in the color I need.

Other details: I feel the Brilla was a great yarn for this project; it's a little thinner than the yarn called for, but it's not so thin that I HAVE to wear something underneath (although in these photos I am wearing a red cami under the top). It was really nice to work with once I became used to the inelasticity of the yarn. The pictures are a little bright; in reality it doesn't appear to have any orange in it at all.

Sizing was a hard decision for this project; I normally wear about a 33", but I chose a 32", and it is really, really tight, as you can see. Also, if knitting this top, be sure to pay extra attention for the first few rows; that seems to be where many people get most confused on this project. I joined the knit along for this. The URL is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/silkcorsetknitalong/

Incredible Ribbon Shrug:

From: Knit.1 Spring/Summer '05
Size: 35"
Yarn: Lion Brand Incredible Ribbon, color purple party, ~ 3.5 skeins
Needles: size 15

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mods: I think my gauge was off; at any rate, it was really hard to measure this thing. It doesn't really matter, because I didn't realize it was probably going to come out too large, and it did. I should have gone down to 13s, maybe, or sized it down somehow. It still looks alright, I think.

Other details: It's a bit tricky figuring out how you're supposed to tie it, but I think I got it right. I had one very off dyelot that was much brighter and not as pretty as the rest, so I did the sleeves with that one. At least it kinda looks purposefully done. In this picture, it looks a little wonky. I promise it's not! It looks that way because the flash was so bright. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but it's much cuter in real life!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Crystal! Your corset is really lovely - well done. I think the color you chose looks great on you. I'm going to start this one again soon... hopefully this time with better results. :)

Anonymous said...

Cute shrug!

Anonymous said...

Good Day!!! cnp71203.blogspot.com is one of the most excellent innovative websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. All the best.