Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Future Knitting Projects

On the sidebar, I posted links to projects I am either going to knit, or considering - probably enough to last me a couple years... or several, considering how slowly I work (and no, I don't work slowly due to perfectionistic tendancies; every thing I've knit has mistakes in it that I didn't bother to fix). Since I have no interesting progress to talk about, or pictures of an FO to show, I'm going to talk a little about (possible) future projects. I like to do this every now and then, so I won't forget what I want to make, and what yarn I want to use when I make it... and after all, the only thing as fun as the knitting itself is the dreaming of a new project!

Note that these are not necessarily in order of when I want to knit them, or of which is my favorite.

So first, I've got Rapunzel. Ok, I lied... just a little. I've wanted to make this since I saw it on another blogger's... blog, back when I thought rowan was a tree. It's numero uno on the list right now (of wants... I don't know for sure that it will be my next knit, depends on if I can find yarn). I have no idea what yarn I'm going to use for it... it calls for Kid Classic, so I figure just about any worsted weight wool would do, and Lamb's Pride may work really well, since I am pretty sure both yarns have mohair content. I have never worked with Lamb's Pride, nor seen any of its colors, so I don't know about this. A sweater knit almost entirely in seed stitch - I don't think I'll want to do this again, so I'll have to get it right the first time, including the yarn and color. I've been thinking Wool of the Andes in Mulled Wine, since (at least on my monitor), it is a fantastic mauve-ish color I've been wanting to use for a very long time. Although, I may want washability, in which case Swish in Bordeaux would be just the thing. I've been dying to work with Andean Silk... but I don't know if it would work for this sweater. I've heard all about the stretching and shedding, and would hate for this sweater to lose its shape! Sangria would most likely be the color I'd choose for this yarn. Another problem with this sweater is that it is finished with a yarn called Rowan Lurex Shimmer something or other, and none of the colors I've seen for that would match the color I want the sweater to be. Which basically sucks, because I haven't seen anything yet that would work as a sub. Also, I think I will need to learn short-rows for bust sizing for this. Boo. Whew, that was long!

Next, I've got Eunny's Deep V Argyle Vest. I've got Telemark for this, in Bayberry and Snow Leopard. Sometimes, when I look at these colors, I love them together. Other times I hate them. Anyone want to trade some Pesto or Aubergine for some Bayberry? Actually, I bet Pesto and Aubergine would look good together...

Serrano is just what I've been looking for and thinking of (no, I don't care that I'm ending this sentence with "of," tyvm)! A fitted, simple, lacy cardigan. I've got Palette in black for this. Yes, black. How boring, right? I need a sweater that will match everything, and you can't get more neutral than basic black.

Technically, I think it's called "Jacket with 3/4 Sleeves" or some such boring name. I dubbed it Phildar "English Riding Jacket", and I love it! It's the reason I got this book. I've got some red (Cherry? is that the color?) Cotton-Ease that I think will be great for this sweater!

The Knitpicks Kimono Styled Sweater will be, I believe, in Merino Style, maybe in Petal or Rhubarb (yum!). I've also thought of using Storm, but it may be too dark, and I don't want to hide the cables.

This Garnstudio design,Drops 87-03 (Wrap Cardi with Flowers), I think I will knit in my Wool of the Andes Hyacinth. I LOVE this color so much, I could never say it enough!

Glampyre's Simple Knitted Bodice, aka Guinevere. Again, no idea what yarn to use. It calls for a silk Tilli Tomas yarn, and all silk yarns are super expensive. I thought this sweater could be more appropiate for Andean Silk than Rapunzel. I've also wondered about Elegance from Knitpicks... it's a smaller weight, so I don't know whether it would work... but it's alpaca and silk. Ideally, I'd knit this in white... but in reality I won't. I refuse to knit in white if at all possible (with the exception of Odessa, since I've procured a skein of white Cashsoft for that), because I know me, and I hate, hate, hate dingy whites. So when it started to get dingy and I realized I couldn't bleach it, I'd never wear it again. But maybe a cream color.

Cookie A's fantastic sock pattern, Baudelaire, will be knit in some purple shade of Palette I was going to use for Pomatomus socks, which will now be knit in some purple/blue/green shades.

I bought *gasp!* Red Heart for Tubey. But wait till you see it... I think it's going to look great!

What else would I use for Orangina other than Brown Sheep Cotton Fine? I love the yarn! BSCF has so many lovely colors, and I know I won't knit this until next summer, so it will depend on what colors I'm really digging at the time... but right now, I really like Oriental Jade, Dusty Sage, Spryte, and Rue.

Delphine?. If I decide to knit Delphine, which I probably will someday, since it is an amazing, beautiful design, well, I hadn't really thought about yarn for it yet, probably Wool of the Andes again, maybe Hush and Violet.

Something Red? This is probably less of an "if" than a "when??" I don't know what yarn it'll be, but it will definitely be in red. ;-)

Fetching? If I ever get just one ball of Trendsetters' Kashmir, I'd probably use it for this, or a small neckwarmer... something to wear it close to the skin and feel how nice and soft it is! It is really the softest yarn EVER. I think the lady at the yarn store I go visit when on vacation is tired of my petting it every time I go in... I'm sure she wishes I'd buy a ball and leave her yarn alone! haha.

Forecast? Another pattern I've wanted to knit since I saw it, I'd definitely knit Forecast in a tweedy red yarn. Some blogger had made some changes to it that I'd want to do also, so I'd have to find that blog again.

Judy Jetson? I FREAKING LOVE this pattern! This design is awesome! Will I ever knit it? I don't know... could I wear this in real life? I'm not sure I've got what it takes to wear this knit.

Arisaig? I love Arisaig. It's really beautiful... light, airy, almost wispy. Will I knit it? Hopefully someday.

Lucy in the Sky? Lucy in the Sky is a very cute, almost casual cardigan. The diamond patterning really sets it apart from the casual cardigan you could find in a store, which is why I'd knit Lucy. Not to mention the Beatles reference is awesome, and Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is a fantastic song.

From Knit.1's Art Issue, I want to make:
this Lace Tunic. It's one of my favorite sweater designs right now, and my only hesitation has been that you're supposed to find lace inserts for the jacket. Two inch lace is hard to find, and non-white 2" lace is even harder. So that's why I haven't started this yet. I'll alter it, though... mine is going to be shorter.

Butterfly Shawl. Love this shawl! Love it! Where would I wear it? Argh!

Cropped Cardigan. This is just a little edgy, and very cute. I've seen a few finished ones, and they all look great. I would love to do it in the green, but I don't know if I can wear green... especially that shade of green.

I don't knit many purses, but this polka dot bag is adorable! I am soooo making that! Another knit purse I want to make is this one, and soon. Out of wool, or a wool-blend... not alpaca, are they crazy?!

There is also a twist top from VK Summer 2005 that I am going to make out of some Cotton-Ease, either a bubble-gum pink or a pale green. And a gorgeous cardigan from this summer's VK I want to make also. Why are pictures of patterns from VK back issues so hard to find?

I'm also unofficially adding to this list a Clapotis, and a red Shetland Triangle. I'm also wanting to make a Morehouse Merino Camilla scarf, but using their varigated Monet yarn instead of a solid. I don't know if they'd do that, but I've really been wanting to use that yarn!

Anyway, I'm sure you're thinking "Geez, this girl sure does have a lot of things planned for herself!" Why yes, yes I do. No one I know really even WANTS me to knit for them, and I do knit for charity, but I feel it's fine to knit for myself as much as I have time. And I don't have a time limit set for any of my knits - it could be years from now that some of these projects finally are finished (or even started!). I do have a few things planned for others, but I can't post about them here.

By the way, as a progress update, I can say that it turns out I still need to work a bit on SS before the neck shaping, the darn messed up cables on GG are driving me nuts and I should have ripped it, but now I'm too stubborn, since I've already invested this time into fixing it without ripping, and I finished one stockinette project awhile back - a fabric knit purse. I don't know when I'll be able to line it, and finish putting it together, so it's not TECHNICALLY finished, but it's not my fault I have NO ROOM for cutting fabrics in this dorm! Otherwise, I'd have cut out the fabric for that darling little tweed skirt I've been planning for months... ANYWAY. So I started another stockinette project, and am, I'd say, around 40% done with it if you don't include the finishing time (and let's be realistic - I DON'T include the finishing time, because that means I'd have to think about it! That might slow progress).

Well, this was a good 15 min wasted. :-p

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love so many of the projects you've posted... you've got great taste! I want to knit too much, too - I'm currently being completely indecisive about which long-sleeve sweater to make for "winter" (in quotes because we don't really get winter here).

Cynder said...

I am just finishing the Kimono sweater in Merino Style Storm, and you can see the cables good.

I don't have any photos up, or (or any blog content for the longest time)

Just wanted to chime in.

Cynder said...

Actually, I do have a WIP of the sweater..

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jwona/album/576460762320744686/photo/294928803217442477/2

Ziomal said...

Very nice! I like it. chiropractors tampa